Informative, Innovative and Interactive Site of MP & Chhattisgarh
Un Site Informatif, Innovatif et Interactif de MP & Chhattisgarh

“It is not right in God’s sight to obey men rather than God.”

Freed Americans reunited with family members

LANDSTUHL, Germany: Jason Rezaian, the Washington Post reporter freed Saturday after almost 18 months of incarceration in an Iranian prison, met with Post editors Monday for the first time since his release and said he was “feeling good” physically as he recovers in a U.S. military hospital here.

The Washington Post’s executive editor, Martin Baron, and foreign editor, Douglas Jehl, said Rezaian “looked good” during their two-hour meeting in a conference room at Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre near Ramstein Air Base.

Rezaian, 39, was flown out of Iran on Sunday along with two other freed Iranian Americans as part of a prisoner deal with Iran linked to the implementation of a landmark nuclear agreement.

Baron and Jehl said Monday evening that the face-to-face meeting so soon after Rezaian’s release from Tehran’s notorious Evin Prison was an encouraging sign. Doctors and psychiatrists at the hospital are still assessing his health, and the recovery process in similar cases has taken months or years.

 “I want people to know that physically, I’m feeling good,” said Rezaian, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans provided to him aboard the Swiss plane that flew the men to freedom. “I know people are eager to hear from me, but I want to process this for some time.’’

Also released in the deal were former Marine Amir Hekmati, 32, of Flint, Mich., and Christian pastor Saeed Abedini, 35, of Boise, Idaho. Accompanying Rezaian on the flight were his wife, Yeganeh Salehi, an Iranian, and his mother, Mary Rezaian. A fourth Iranian American released as part of the arrangement, Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari, opted to remain in Iran. An American student who was freed separately, Matthew Trevithick, 30, flew out Saturday on his own.

Abedini had been imprisoned since July 2012 for organizing home churches. Hekmati spent more than four years behind bars on spying charges following his arrest in August 2011 during a visit to see his grandmother. (Courtesy: The Washington Post)