26 children taken ill after having midday meal at Chhattisgarh school
Over two dozen children, including 16 girls, were taken ill after taking midday
meal in a government middle school in a village under Pendra block, about 150km
from Bilaspur district headquarters, on Monday afternoon.
Pendra TI Raghunandan
Prasad Sharma sent a constable to village Sonbacharvar, about 15km in the
forests from Pendra block headquarters. In the evening Sharma confirmed that 26
children, including 16 girls had began to vomit soon after having the midday
meal at the government middle school of the village. He further said that the
vegetable that was served to children was cooked in oil of kusum seeds, which
might have triggered food poisoning in children.
Sharma added that all
the children were admitted to the primary health centre at Amadand near the
village, while two girls were referred to hospital at Pendra by Dr Prabhu Kumar
Choudhary of the primary health centre. Condition of the children being treated
at Amadand primary health centre was said to be stable.
In the meanwhile, block
education officer has suspended the self help group, Saraswati Swayamsahayata
Samooh, which was responsible for preparing the midday meal for the school.
SDM, block medical
officer, block education officer and other officials have rushed to the Amadand
primary health centre to check up on the admitted students.