Two Indians abducted in war-devastated Libya
New Delhi: Two Indians
have been abducted in Sirte in war-devastated Libya even as two other nationals
remain in the custody of Islamic militants for past more than one-and-a-half
months, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Wednesday.
“It has been learnt by
our Mission in Tripoli that two Indian nationals - Pravash Ranjan Samal,
hailing from Odisha, and Ramamurthy Kosanam, resident of Andhra Pradesh, have
apparently been taken from Ibn-e-Sina in Sirte where they had been working, and
detained…,” the Spokesperson in the External Affairs Ministry, Vikas Swarup
He said all efforts
were being made to “ensure the well-being and secure early release of our
He also said that
Indian mission in Tripoli was making further inquiries for confirmation of the
incident and is in touch with the local people, who can help in securing
release of the two Indian nationals. The matter has also been taken up at
diplomatic level, he said.
The latest incident
comes even as two Indians, who were working in a university in Sirte, remain in
the captivity after being abducted by Islamic militants in July.
Sirte is under the
control of the Islamic State terror group, which is steadily expanding its
influence in central Libya.