Wave of terror attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia and France kill at least 49
A wave of terror attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia and France have killed at least 49 people on Friday.
A Tunisian interior ministry official said at least 27 people have been killed after at least one gunman attacked a Tunisian tourist hotel in the popular resort of Sousse. Sousse, some 150 kilometers from Tunis, is a popular resort for both Tunisians and Europeans.
There have been no details on the nationalities of those killed but during the holy month of Ramadan, those on the beach tend to be tourists.
Thirteen people were killed in a suicide attack on a Shi’ite Muslim mosque in Kuwait City, the governor of Kuwait City Thabet al-Muhanna said. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the deadly explosion that struck after Friday prayers.
A posting on a Twitter account known to belong to the Islamic State group claims the explosion was work of a suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt.
In France, President Francois Hollande said that a suspected Islamist attack on a gas factory in which a decapitated head was pinned to the gates was a “terrorist attack”.
Hollande, who rushed back to France from an EU summit to deal with the crisis, said the attacker had been identified and that there may have been a second person involved.
France has been on high alert since January 7 when two Islamist brothers attacked the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 12.