Over 170 schoolchildren fall sick after eating sweets at I-Day functions
KANPUR: At least 176 schoolchildren on Friday fell
sick after eating sweets at Independence Day functions at four primary schools
in Chaubepur village of the district, police said.
According Kanpur District Magistrate Roshan Jacob, the
schoolchildren, along with at least 12 other persons, have been admitted in a
primary health centre in the village and a local hospital, where doctors said
that the condition of some of them was critical.
The chief medical officer, with a team of 12 doctors,
is attending to them. Jacob said, “At least 120 children, all aged less than 12
years, started vomiting after consuming laddus distributed at the I-Day
functions at four primary schools in Chaubepur.”
He said the village head had bought the sweets from a
shop in Ashok Nagar area. Police have arrested the owner and sealed the shop. “Some
children took the laddus home and gave them to their family members and
siblings, who also complained of food poisoning,” Jacob said.
The DM said that he along with the CMO and 12 other
doctors rushed to the spot and admitted the sick children to a primary health
centre in the village. Some of them were critical and were taken to Rama
Hospital in Kalyanpur, he said.