Lion dies of old age in Van Vihar
20-year-old male lion died at Van Vihar National Park on Sunday morning. Van
Vihar now has five lions and six lionesses all are above the average age.
of Van Vihar Sudesh Waghmare said the lion named Sultan was very old and was on
medication for a couple of days.
said the average life span of a lion is 16. Sultan has lived longer than the
average life span. He died of old age problems.
rescued from Rajmahal circus in Chhattisgarh in 2010 and was brought to Van
Vihar along with other lions. With his death the lion population in Van Vihar
has come down to 11.
wildlife doctor Dr Atul Gupta and Dr Vimal Raj of SOS Wildlife jointly
conducted the post mortem. Reason for the death has been cited as senility in
the post mortem report.
According to the
director of Van Vihar, lions rescued from circuses have been housed in the
rescue centre. All these lions have attained their average age.
It has been
provisioned to house wild animals rescued from circuses at the national park’s
Lung infection leads in death of tigresses
Lung infection caused
in the death of two tigresses at Panna Tiger reserve consecutively on Friday
and Saturday. This has been revealed in the post-mortem reports.
officials of PTR, the post-mortem examination of tigress P214 which died on
Friday was conducted by a team of doctors from veterinary college Jabalpur and
local veterinarians including Dr KP Singh and Dr Sanjiv Gupta. The post-mortem
had suggested congestion in the lungs and trachea as the cause of death of
of the tigress found dead on Saturday was performed by veterinary experts from
PTR and Pench Tiger reserve including Dr Sandeep Agarwal and Dr Akhilesh Mishra
and Dr Kajal Jadhav from Wildlife Disease Research & Diagnostic centre
(Jabalpur). Dr Chitaranjan Dave was present as representative of National Tiger
Conservation Authority (NCTA) while Eric D Kunha of Bagh Tola Resort was
present as an independent representative.
report suggested that the death occurred due to infection in the respiratory
organs. The doctors found coagulation of blood in lungs due to infection and
the flexibility of lungs was also missing. The trachea was choked with cough.
Because of infection the other organs were also affected.
The viscera samples of both the tigresses were
collected and will be sent to veterinary college, Jabalpur for pathological
tests and to forensic science laboratory, Sagar for toxicological examination.